12.07.2009

Reproducing and its Repercussions

For those of you who may not know, I hold a Bachelors Degree in Journalism and Mass Communication from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University. I studied abroad and graduated in 3 1/2 years halfway due to my pure excitement of getting out in the real world, and half in part to the fact that the days on the payroll were coming to a scary close and money needed to be made - and fast.

Well fast forward four years and here I am. A corporate Marketing and Communications Manager for a $6 billion dollar international company. I travel the country, work with amazing peers and have accomplished many feats in my few years in the "real world." So you'd think I would be content. Think again.

Recently I have had thoughts of going back to Grad School for.... wait for it... wait for it... Journalism! (Shocking, I know) My current employer is actually even willing to help finance my degree. My husband supports me. So what's the problem?

Who will make the dinners, take care of our dogs, clean the house (ok fine - I don't even clean now) and more importantly than anything else I could include in the list, what will happen to our baby making plans? My grandmother (married for 52 years) always told me the key to a successful marriage - "Madela, (for all my fellow yiddish speakers out there!) when your husband comes home you need a hot dinner on the table, a full face of makeup and silence - do not speak to him for at least one hour after he arrives home) Nice in theory, however I've found it hard to live up to my grandmother's advice. My makeup has worn off since it's 6:30AM application, dinner is usually half-ready considering I just got home as well and let's face it, I could talk to a brick wall for hours.

Although not practical in today's dual households, the theory my grandmother had is nice. There is something to be said for creating a traditional home and this is where my cunnundrom occurs. How do you find balance ? How can you work a 50 hour week and be an all star wife (and potentially mom!) How can you think about how you'll design a nursery when you're looking at class schedules for Grad School? How can you succeed at work, excel in school, be a mother, a wife, a daughter and friend, all without letting the ball drop? So now my official "plan" will be figuring out how to combine my goals and achieve what everyone else in this world hopes for - to have it all.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, this is the Great Debate, indeed: how to juggle it all? I don't think there is a definitive answer, I believe each woman must commit to what works for her. What works for TBS as a working wife/stepMom/mogul-in-the making? Communication, color-coded calendars, PDAs, etc. It's a lot to juggle. This also leads to the inevitable: Can you have 'it all'? And I dare to say "Sure!". "Having it all" is relative. What is balance to me might be overwhelming for the next woman. Ultimately, each woman has to find the time to do what she feels comfortable with juggling. Oh, and the occasional glass of wine doesn't hurt! :-)

    ReplyDelete