1.20.2011

A Workout That'll Make You Feel the Burn!

My love for the gym only started about one year ago. When I first made working out a part of my everyday life, I realized quite a bit about myself. I was intimidated by weight training and totally out of shape! It was hard for me to get a good job going on the treadmill without developing shin splints and being completely out of breath. My upper body was so weak I could barely do a good set of bicep curls, and mostly – I just had no idea what I was doing.



After a few weeks of wandering around the gym trying to imitate the buff people around me, I started to read up on fitness and what a good workout consists of. Between reading websites online, subscribing to magazines (I am completely 100% obsessed with Oxygen Magazine) and talking with some friends who train either professionally or for enjoyment, I have begun making wiser decisions in the gym and finally now see results.


Here is what I’ll be doing today – chest and tris with a little cardio to round things out. Give it a try – you’ll thank me tomorrow :)


Warm-up: 9 minute mile done at intervals


Minute 1: 5.5


Minute 2: 6.5


Minute 3: 5.5


Minute 4: 7.0


Minute 5: 5.5


Minute 6: 6.5


Minute 7: 7.0


Minute 8: 5.5


Minute 9: 5.0




Followed by Chest & Tri’s:
Chest Press – 10 reps, 2 sets (these can be done on a stability ball to engage your abs)


Tricep dips – 8 reps, 3 sets


Tricep pressdown – 8 reps, 3 sets


Skull crushers – 8 reps, 3 sets (these can be done on a stability ball to engage your abs)


Chest Fly – 10 reps, 3 sets (these can be done on a stability ball to engage your abs)


Tricep kickbacks – 8 reps, 3 sets
These can be done as drop sets (start with heavier weight, work until fatigued and decrease with each set) or with consistent weight. See what feels right for you.

Followed by cardio:
20 Minutes on the Elliptical - again, do intervals!!! Interval training makes the most of your time. Long gone are the days when you need to strap yourself to a piece of cardio equipment for an hour!

Read about the benefits of interval training here


Have fun, feel the burn and be careful!
*Please note - I am not a physical trainer. You should always check with a doctor before beginning a new fitness routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment